Remember Google Editions? The Googly ebook store that was announced earlier this year and was going to launch in June or July? Well, it's not arrived yet, as you may have noticed.
Google's offering was to be different to most ebook stores - no file downloads but rather an online library stored in Google's 'cloud'. No DRM or messy solutions like that, but everyone's reading habits available for analysis by the world's biggest web ad broker and, coincidentally, search engine. There's a win for customers there, because they don't have to fight awkward DRM schemes and can access their books anywhere as long as they have net connectivity. But a huge win for Google in its ability to link reading habits to its advertising business.
So Amazon and Apple may be relieved, but what's going on? Perhaps the exercise is turning out to be a little harder than Google anticipated: they now claim that Google will launch Editions "when it's ready", as Google spokeswoman Jeannie Hornung tells CNET. But with the ebook market maintaining its rapid growth, Google may need to get to this party quickly before their customers are already committed to its rivals' models - whatever the costs and benefits of such a decision.
Recent blog posts
- The Parents’ Evening: 17th July 2026
- Authors! The future of the book is you
- 10 things you may not know about ebooks and UK public libraries
- The secret e-book market: 8 months of digital rankings
- China e-book market hungry for growth
- Paperback pioneers
- Achieving all the sales in the world | @Tom_Chalmers
- Old possum's piece of publishing wisdom
- Publishing's hits and misses
- Self-publishing changed my life, but my publisher grew my sales
- Dead books walking
2 weeks 3 days ago
- Why Segregate?
5 weeks 1 day ago
- Big idea: build a new ecosystem - An alternative idea
7 weeks 7 hours ago
- finding editors
8 weeks 3 days ago
- Predatory Publishers
13 weeks 3 days ago
- Hybird Authors
16 weeks 3 days ago
17 weeks 3 days ago
- Still not a plateau
17 weeks 3 days ago
- Fascinating article
19 weeks 1 day ago
- What if not everything stays the same?
19 weeks 2 days ago
Tweets from @thefuturebook
TheFutureBook RT @GuardianCMS: Work in publishing? Interested in digital? @TheFutureBook is a community blog about digital publishing. More info: …
TheFutureBook RT @bookstothesky: @thejeffnorton @TheFutureBook @thecreativepenn @rebecsmart @HTelfer1 Thanks Jeff - Happy Friday! #ff
TheFutureBook RT @rebecsmart: Thanks Jeff RT @thejeffnorton: #ff super smart folks on the @TheFutureBook ed board: @thecreativepenn @rebecsmart @HTelfer…