In a week where Apple fans have got angry on the blogs, Amazon appeared to have scored lots of points in the small tablet war. However, dig a little deeper and it was not necessarily the high price tag on the iPad mini that seemed to irk the loyal Apple fans, but the news that their shiny new iPad 3 will be obsolete within a few months with the launch of the iPad 4.
It will be interesting to see how far the innovative manufacturer can stretch the patience of their fans. Have they gone one step too far this time?
I have to admit myself to being a convert to Apple - I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad 3 but actually, at this point I have decided that those iterations are fine for me and Apple won't be getting any $$ out of me in the next 12 months at least. No to the iPhone 5 and no to the iPad mini and iPad 4 - why? As this is an ebook blog I won't spend much time explaining the phone bit - suffice to say, not much change in the new device is the reason.
Lets look at the iPad. Don't get me wrong, I love it. From movies to apps (e,g, the new Times app is excellent) to showing presentations it's brilliant but I have finally lost patience with it for books. It's just too heavy. So, I will be swiching back to my good old lightweight kindle and resigning myself to coping with just 4 devices when I travel - phone (talking to humans), iPad (for apps, movies and email), laptop (for serious work) and kindle (for books).
So here is my pledge for 2014. No new phone [iPhone 4S does the job], no new tablet [iPad 3 is fine] but possibly a Kindle upgrade if I can be tempted by the new white screen......
Recent blog posts
- Your Book Is Watching You
- Don't curb your enthusiasm
- A note to what has been lost
- Trial and marginalisation
- Orna Ross, the Pudding Would Like a Word — @Porter_Anderson
- Book industry: stop moaning and be creative | @tom_chalmers
- What comes next: the workshop
- Author Solutions and Penguin Random House: The Real Deal?
- Do Publishers Need a Bigger Boat?
- Is publishing about to come face to face with the corridor of mirrors that is Alt Lit?
- Slow down may be explained by need to catch up with downloads
2 hours 20 min ago
- Watermarks/"Social DRMs" are not ALL that bad
3 hours 37 sec ago
- the real problem with AuthorSolutions
1 day 21 hours ago
- Indie authors are meeting industry standards
6 days 21 hours ago
- "A debate or three"
1 week 13 hours ago
- My what a storm in a teacup
1 week 18 hours ago
- Thanks for this gracious comeback, Orna
1 week 21 hours ago
- "HOW do we innovate?" is the key question
1 week 22 hours ago
- Gosh Porter, I am surprised
1 week 1 day ago
- Thanks, everyone, for your comments...
1 week 4 days ago